What is Snapchat?
Snapchat is a messaging app that allows users to send each other photos and videos which disappear after a set amount of time.
- Platform type: Social Media Platform
- Founder(s): Evan Spiegel, Bobby Murphy, and Reggie Brown
- Year founded: 2011
What Are Snapchat's Top Features?
- You can send disappearing photos and videos to your friends
- You can add filters and effects to your photos and videos
- You can create "Stories" which are collections of photos and videos that disappear after 24 hours
- You can chat with your friends
- You can add friends by their username or by scanning their Snapcode
- You can view snaps from around the world on the "Discover" page
Snapchat has several unique characteristics that bring value to its users:
- Snapchat has an engaging short form video and photo content format, having started the 24hr story post format that has become a standard across social platforms
- Snapchat has a younger user demographic, with most users falling between the ages of 15-35
- Snapchat has capitalized on the popularity of digital avatars for self expression and personal branding with its customizable Bitmoji avatars
- Snapchat added a Spotlight feature for user generated content where brands and creators share content with their audiences in a TikTok-style discovery feed